Sexual abuse can leave a survivor with emotional scars, and due to the “secrecy” aspect that perpetators take advantage of, it can also leave survivors feeling isolated and alone. Thankfully, there are plenty of resources to help on the path to healing from this trauma. Not all of them may be helpful, but hopefully at least one or two will resonate and may help you feel more powerful and supported.
- SNAP – the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests is an organization dedicated to helping those who have suffered sexual abuse at the hands of religious officials. Their mission is to support and heal survivors, protect children from experiencing sexual abuse, and bring justice to those who commit these heinous acts. Check out their Resources for Survivors page, or look into attending a Support Group in your area.
- Voice of the Faithful – or VotF is a Catholic organization that was created in order to support survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic officials, while calling for structural change in the Church, as well as lifting up priests of integrity. View their website to join them.
- RAINN – the Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network runs a hotline for survivors of sexual abuse that offers support, an attentive ear, and information about health and law services from a trained staff member on the other line. The call is 100% free and completely confidential. Call 800-656-HOPE to access the hotline, or use their online chat hotline if you feel more comfortable with that option. Learn more about the telephone hotline here and the online hotline here.
- After Silence is an online support group that features a free message board and chat room where survivors of sexual abuse can talk freely and anonymously while helping each other heal. Visit their website to learn more.
- MaleSurvivor is a non-profit organization for male survivors of sexual abuse, dedicated to helping them to feel more supported, while eliminating sexual abuse through advocacy, support, treatment, and education. Sign up for their free message board to talk with other survivors and visit their Healing Resources page.
We hope that you find some of these resources helpful. In addition to perusing the websites, reach out to loved ones and other survivors and seek help from a professional. It may help you on your journey to healing. Another thing that may help to reclaim your power and heal from your abuse is by filing a lawsuit against your abuser. The Massey Law Firm can help you with that. We specialize in child sexual abuse cases, and we’ll fight for you to the full extent that we can.
We stand by you. Call now at 602-955-0055, or email us through our website to review your case.