5 Reasons to Hire a Clergy Abuse Lawyer
If you or someone that you love is a victim of clergy abuse, you have the right to take action and reclaim your power. Claims of sexual abuse within the Church go back several years. The first documented accusations can be dated back to the 1960s, but sexual abuse in the Church continues to be a problem today. By taking abusers to court, you can help to prevent further abuse and get the justice you deserve. Keep reading to learn more reasons to hire a clergy abuse lawyer.
Clergy Abuse in Arizona
Clergy abuse was exposed on a large scale in 2002 when The Boston Globe broke a story that revealed widespread abuse in the Catholic Church. They also reported that the Church had previously attempted to silence victims and hide allegations. Since 2002, local dioceses of the Catholic Church have released the names of 5,100 clergy members that are possible sexual abusers. Today, 1,700 men live out their lives like ordinary people, unsupervised and holding jobs as coaches, teachers, and counselors. These men are all over the country, including Arizona.
Arizona recently updated its statute of limitations laws on child sex abuse. Today, the statute of limitations on civil lawsuits for child sex abuse stops when a victim turns 30 years old. There is no statute of limitations on filing criminal charges for felony sexual abuse.
Reasons to Hire a Clergy Abuse Lawyer
Why should you hire a clergy abuse lawyer? Here are some of the best reasons:
- Support Reporting Abuse: Talking about your abuse can be incredibly difficult, especially if the victim is still a child. It can be scary to report the abuse and even scarier having to talk about it again. By hiring a lawyer that will fight for you, you’re taking the first steps to report your abuse.
- Prevent Future Abuse: If you successfully win your clergy abuse case, it will cause repercussions for your abuser. This can lead to preventing abuse by the same individual in the future.
- They Help You Understand Your Rights: When you’re so focused on the tragedy of your abuse, understanding a complex legal system is the last thing on your mind. A clergy abuse lawyer will work with you in a compassionate way to help you understand your rights, explain the legal process, and win your case.
- Take Back Power: While winning your case might not remove the emotional pain of experiencing abuse, it can provide you with relief and a renewed sense of power.
- Tell Your Story: Similar to providing support when reporting your abuse, a clergy abuse lawyer can help tell the story of a victim’s abuse. This will help paint a clear picture of the abuse and ease the emotional burden of the victim having to tell their story all on their own.
Get a Free Case Review
There are several benefits to hiring a quality clergy abuse lawyer. At Massey Law Firm, we are committed to helping victims of abuse reclaim their lives for themselves and seek the justice they deserve. If you or someone you love is a survivor of clergy sex abuse, call our office today at 602-955-0055, and a member of our team will give you a free case review. While we can’t always ease the emotional burden of the experience, we swear to work as hard as possible to get you the proper justice and financial compensation you deserve.
Tags: Clergy Abuse, Clergy Abuse Lawyer