Do you think you have a medical malpractice lawsuit? The pain and suffering caused by medical malpractice are enough to last a lifetime (and often, they do). If you believe that you or someone you love has been a victim of medical malpractice, hiring the best attorney you can is crucial. But sometimes, the steps to finding an attorney aren’t clear. Here’s how to find a medical malpractice attorney who will work hard to get you the justice you deserve.
What Is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice occurs when a doctor fails to provide and ensure the best care for their patient. If your physician has behaved in a way that others would not and this behavior results in injury to you, then you may have a case for medical malpractice. Likewise, if your doctor makes some mistake during surgery, fails to properly diagnose you, or disregards your medical history, you have several legal options and may even be entitled to compensation.
How to Know If You Might Have A Medical Malpractice Suit
Medical malpractice is infamously difficult to prove. To know if you might have a medical malpractice suit, you need to prove the “Four D’s of Negligence”. They are:
- Duty of Care: Proof of a doctor-patient relationship.
- Dereliction: Negligence and/or failure to provide the standard of care.
- Direct Causation: Proof that the doctor’s actions directly caused injury to the patient.
- Damages: Evidence of physical, mental, or other suffering to the patient.
Steps to Finding a Good Medical Malpractice Attorney
Finding the right medical malpractice attorney is difficult if you don’t know anyone who works in law. While an online search may help, there are other ways to find an attorney. Here are some steps you can take to find someone to help you with your malpractice case:
- Search around and make a shortlist. If you have any friends or family that have recently used a personal injury attorney, ask them about their experience. You can also do an internet search or use a lawyer directory to find medical malpractice attorneys in your area. After doing all of this, make a shortlist of attorneys you may be interested in working with.
- Check out their legal history. You want a lawyer who’s got a proven track record of winning their cases. If you’ve experienced medical malpractice, it’s important to work with an attorney who has a history of winning large settlements for their clients on medical malpractice cases.
- Read reviews from previous clients. One of the great things about the internet is that people can leave their reviews for the public to read. Browse the reviews of different personal injury attorneys in your area to see who has a positive track record with clients.
- Review your case. A lot of attorneys may offer a free case review. You should meet with the options you’ve narrowed it down to and go over your case. This way, you can get an understanding of how each lawyer will approach your case and decide who you want to work with.
Choosing The Right Medical Malpractice Attorney
Choosing the right malpractice attorney isn’t a quick process, but taking the time to move through these steps will be well worth it. A good attorney will put in a dedicated and aggressive effort to ensure that you walk away with the justice and compensation that you deserve.
Get A Free Case Review
Massey Law Firm has a dedicated team with lots of experience in medical malpractice lawsuits. We use aggressive legal strategies, work closely with clients, and have a deep knowledge of these types of cases. If you would like us to evaluate your medical malpractice case, give us a call at 602-955-0055 to schedule a free case review with a member of our legal team.